Sunday, November 18, 2012

Gerry's marvellous adventure...


Well, it’s that time of year when the ‘snowbirds’ fly south, and me along with them.
As usual, the trip was an adventure.  The shuttle from Orillia to Toronto was lovely and new, but obviously not designed for handicaps or seniors. To get on board there was a double sliding-door with nothing to hang onto. Now, why a passenger vehicle needed a double door I don’t know, but with a little ingenuity I managed to get on and off.
The hotel was relatively close to the airport and comfortable, but the restaurant left an lot to be desired. I ordered pot roast, which consisted of two pieces of meat in brown gravy, but the worst part was the service. It took a good fifteen minutes to clear the plates.
The flight out of Toronto was idyllic, and the airline personal couldn’t have been more helpful. However, when I reached Philadelphia it was another story. The gal shuttling me to what I thought was my next gate was an absolute mad woman! She sped through the hallways cackling inanely and scattering people in her path, until we got to our destination–a bus stop to the next terminal! Now, these are regular buses I’m talking about, without a handicap lift. In addition, they once again had double doors with nothing to hang onto.
To top off this experience, the attendants at the gate were surly verging on rude. I told one of them that I needed a yellow valet tag for my walker (so that it would be brought to me when I reached Jacksonville), only to be told rather officiously that they used blue tags in Philadelphia. (More information than I needed.)
Once I arrived in Jacksonville, however, and my friend Kerry met me at the airport, I knew I was at home.
At “Sluggers,” my favourite restaurant in St. Augustine, everyone was on had to welcome me back like a long lost son, and–apart from the cool weather–it’s  been that way ever since.
Here’s a pic of the St. Augustine “Festival of Lights” that began last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment