Sunday, November 25, 2012

Checking in...


There’s no outstanding news, which is probably a good thing: “No news is good news.”
The temperature is a bit below average (75F), being 60s during the day and 40s – 50s overnight. However, the sun makes it feel quite a bit warmer than the temp.
The first thing I do in the morning is check the temp in Orillia, so I know about the -1C and snow. I also know about the -15C and snow in Manitoba, so I’m not complaining about the cool temps here.
I must say I’m pampered, here. My table at Sluggers has a “reserved” sign on it so I always have a seat regardless of how busy it might be. My room is cleaned while I’m out for breakfast (9:00 – 11:00) so I’m not disturbed while I’m writing, and I can order anything off the menu (within reason).
Because of the cool weather I haven’t wandered away from the hotel. I do want to get across the street to see if they have made any progress on the archaeological dig they started last year–the foundation of a 17th century church. I was lucky enough to photograph a corner of it last fall. Fascinating stuff.
I’m writing steadily. I would like to finish this draft before Christmas so that I can start getting it ready for the publisher by late February. I’m getting stale with this story, so I want to get on with the next one: “The Brit, Kid Cupid, and Petunia.” It’s a light comedy, so it will be a change of pace.
I also want to visit some of the attractions here in St. Augustine–the fort, and alligator farm–and I have my regular driver and friend, Kerry Sullivan (a good, red-haired Irishman), at the ready. Will post pictures when I do.
To all of my friends in the northern hemisphere, stay warm.
Will write again, soon.
Gerry B.

Addendum: The archaeological dig from last year.

This plaque describes what is known about the previously undiscovered building. It is thought to have been undertaken by Simón de Anda y Salazar, Governor of Florida from 1674 – 1680. He seems to have been a rather controversial figure who was eventual relieved of his duties.
Here are a few pictures of the portion of the foundation that has been discovered so far. The light stone if coquina (petrified sea shells).
And if that wasn’t enough, I also discovered there is an entire centre dedicated to the Burnies at McGill University in Montreal, i.e.  http://burneycentre.mcgill.ca/bio_james.html.  So altogether is has been a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment